Quote of the Week

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will" - Mahatma Gandhi

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Let's Get Started: Stocking your Fridge for Success



(Not So) Average Girl

I want to start by explaining how I came up with the name for this blog. My friends will tell you that I am far from average. Some words that have used to describe me are unique, peculiar, silly, and different (sings 2 Chainz hook). I am sure all those names were spoken out of love or at least I hope so. 

I am a performing arts type of girl. My friend and I took gymnastics one summer, and realized I was scared of heights so that ended very quickly.  You could always find me in the choir room, dancing and singing on stage, twirling my flag on the practice field, or shaking my butt to the drum corps newest cadence during football games.

I was never on any sports teams in school. I am not an athlete. I am not a personal trainer. I am not a fitness competitor. I am not a nutritionist. Therefore, I am just a girl struggling to maintain a healthy lifestyle…..basically, the average girl.

Now for the Good Stuff….Nutrition! 
When I started my nutrition plan, the grocery store was overwhelming. Reading nutrition labels was like solving calculus problems. You spend hours trying to comprehend the problem, and when you work your way through it the final result is incorrect. It’s the same for nutrition. You finally get your mind around calories, calories from fat, and total fat then they throw in carbohydrates and what seems like a hundred different kinds of fats. Soon you end up saying forget it (this is a PG blog), and grab a DiGiorno Pizza or Publix (for us lucky Southerners) fried chicken for dinner.

Click on the link below for a GREAT website that will help you understand what you should be looking for when you read your next label:

After you have had time to research the differences between complex carbs and simple carbs you are ready to take on the grocery store. Below you will find a list of a few things to get you started:

Protein
Tilapia
Salmon
Tuna in Water
Chicken Breast
Ground Turkey (make sure to choose the Extra Lean option)
Egg Whites
Shellfish
Greek Yogurt

Veggies
Spinach
Broccoli
Green Beans
Zucchini
Carrots
Bell Peppers
Greens (Turnip, Collard, Kale) –don’t let your grandmother or a soul food restaurant prepare them
Cabbage
Mushrooms
Sweet Potato – baked with a little olive oil and cinnamon is delicious

Fruits
Apples
Bananas
Berries

Nuts
Almonds
Walnuts
Pistachios

Carbohydrates
Oatmeal
Brown Rice
Whole Wheat Bread
Beans

This is not a complete list of healthy foods, but it will get you started and at least guide you to the correct sections of the grocery store.

Let’s get to cooking!

The ingredient of the week is Quinoa. First, it is pronounced KEEN-wah. I don’t want you to have to go through the same embarrassment I did the first time I went to the grocery store looking for it. This link will give you a great description, health benefits, and cooking instructions.


Only comment I have is the first time I cooked Quinoa I used it as a side dish, and cooked it in water only * Insert disgusted face here*. It was quickly placed in the garbage can. I encourage you to try it alone first because you may actually like the “pure” version. For the rest of us, it’s really good when cooked in broth. To cut down on the sodium of the broth, buy the low sodium versions and use a mixture of broth and water when cooking. For example, for 1 cup Quinoa you will use 2 cups of liquid (1 cup water, 1 cup broth).

The recipe this week comes to you from Oxygen magazine just in time for Mardi Gras. I will highlight the Quinoa Jambalaya. The link to the recipe is below:


I hope you like it.  Please leave your recipe review below, and list any changes you made while cooking. I tried it a while ago, and I really enjoyed it. Now, if only I could find a healthy version of the King Cake!


Next Week: "Taste the Rainbow: Diversifying your Produce"

No comments:

Post a Comment